2018, you were a good one! It’s always awesome to see how much God has grown us. He really taught me this year the value of intentionality and making the most of my days for His glory. Here are some resources that helped me do so and made this year a whole lot simpler + joyful!
APPS I LOVED
- Abide // A beautiful app for guided Christian meditation. This has helped me quiet my heart and realign my day back towards Jesus. Simply select a topic or devotional plan + your preferred music, then hit play. Someone reads you the devotion while you hear + take in God’s word.
- Echo Prayer App // Echo helped strengthen my prayer life this year. It’s a free app that helps you keep track of your prayers, reminds you to pray throughout the day, and lets you share prayer requests with others.
- YouVersion Bible App // This is one is always a favorite! It was the key to successfully read the bible in a year as it kept me on track. Reading God’s word was definitely the best investment of my time this year!
- Scribd // Booklovers, this one is a game-changer! For only $8.99/month, you can get unlimited access to ebooks, audiobooks, documents, and magazines. Taking this one into 2019.
- Notes App // I know this is so basic, but Notes helped me stay intentional this year. I have a lot going on in this brain of my mine so I cleared all unnecessary notes and then created a few for important topics. Here are some examples:
- Meal Planning (a quick list of meal ideas to reference)
- Love Well (a list of people I encounter + how I can love them or remember them based on their situation/season)
- Carter + Isabella (a note full of funny/memorable things they said & the date they said it)
- Sermon Notes, etc.
- Instacart // So thankful this made its way to Canada because Instacart delivers grocery to your door! When the days are long and there’s not much time to do errands, personal shoppers from Instacart have made my motherhood easier.
- Shutterfly // I’ve always been a fan of Shutterfly’s photobooks but didn’t realize that all the goodness is right in their app! Shutterfly offers app-exclusive FREEBIES – only pay for shipping! I’m always looking for ways to decorate our home with meaning + memories and so I scored some free custom photobooks & photo magnets!
- Blue Letter Bible // One thing I’m super grateful God grew this year is my love for His word. BLB has cultivated this love for deeper bible study because their app provides free access to Bible study tools such as cross-references, commentaries, & interlinear bible for Greek/Hebrew translations. It’s such a blessing to our faith that we can have this at our fingertips.
BOOKS I LOVED
- The Bible (NIV) 🙌🏼 // I pray I fall in love with the word even more in 2019!
- Nothing To Prove by Jennie Allen // An invitation to stop striving + to experience the joyous freedom that comes when we discover that only Jesus is the answer to our soul-deep thirst.
- A Simplified Life by Emily Ley // Looking for practical, tactical + grace-filled ways to simplify your life? You’ll love this one. Full of tips for organization, simplicity, joy, rest, family life and even faith!
- The Lifegiving Home by Sally & Sarah Clarkson // Sally Clarkson has deeply impacted my faith and motherhood journey. I reread this book of hers every year to reflect on and be inspired to cultivate a lifegiving home for my family. Definitely look into the Experience Guide too for monthly scriptures, journaling prompts, & seasonal ideas for your lifegiving home.
- What’s Best Next by Matt Perman // In this book, Matt Perman writes about gospel-centered productivity – how the gospel transforms the way we get things done – and then gives super practical tips on how we can apply this to our everyday lives. Loved it!
- Saved From Success by Dale Partridge // Dale’s faith is inspiring and bold, and I so appreciate how he’s written this countercultural but needed message: How God Can Free You from Culture’s Distortion of Family, Work, and the Good Life. It’s a breath of fresh air!
- Friend of Sinners by Rich Wilkerson Jr. // You know when a book is an easy-read but profoundly refreshing? This is exactly what this book did for my faith. Delving into how Jesus loved everyone and just how scandalous grace is, you’ll get a better understanding of your own calling to reach the world, seek the lost, and point others to Christ.
- Everybody Always by Bob Goff // Oh joy! Bob Goff did again with this book! In his whimsical way, Bob’s stories help us to see the way God loves the ones we find difficult to love… and then he spurs us on to love them in the same way. Put this on your 2019 reading list!
- Just Enough Light For The Step I’m On by Stormie Omartian // Through Instagram, I got to chat with a sweet woman with a massive heart for women’s ministry, Deb Hopper. She encouraged me with this book and it reminded me to keep trusting God right where He’s placed me. He gives just enough light for the step you’re on.
- Women Living Well by Courtney Joseph // A quick read on how you can love + find joy in God, your husband, your kids, and your home
- Always Enough, Never Too Much by Jess Connolly & Hayley Morgan // This devotional has to be one of my FAVES of the year! Discover God’s wild freedom as you find your identity in Jesus with 100 devotions that will help you target and banish lies and insecurities. In Jesus, you are always enough and never too much.
- Dance Stand Run by Jess Connolly // I reread this book to slowly soak it in this time. It’s all about how God’s grace spurs us on to live changed + love missionally. Great to read with a group of gals!
- Preach To Yourself by Hayley Morgan // Can you tell I love these authors? Hayley is genuine, real, and an amazing help to Christ-followers who want to apply God’s word to their daily lives. In Preach to Yourself, learn to break the cycle of doubting yourself, take God at His word, and talk back with truth.
- The Road Back To You by Ian Cron & Suzanne Stabile // 2018 was the year of the enneagram lol! “Ennea-what?” was what I said at first too, but this book brought a newfound sense of self-awareness, different personality profiles, and I’d say even helped me view others with more compassion.
- Disciplines of A Godly Woman by Barabara Hughes // A book that encourages women to joyfully pursue a disciplined life of godliness through insightful reflections on Scripture, wise questions for self-evaluation, and helpful suggestions for direct application.
- Habits of Grace by David Mathis // I’m so glad I ended 2018 with this book about knowing + enjoying God through the spiritual disciplines. It’s filled with truth and easy ways to develop spiritual dispiclines today. Highly recommend!
PODCASTS I LOVED
- Journeywomen // There’s not one episode I haven’t loved. Hunter Beless brings faith-filled interviews that encourage us to glorify God right where we are.
- Risen Motherhood // Like moms coming alongside you, Laura & Emily’s podcast constantly points moms to the gospel with each episode.
- Go + Tell Gals // Is God stirring something inside your heart for His purposes? Are you looking for encouragement + truth in this area? You’ll be so spurred on by this podcast to Go + Tell the good news!
- At Home with Sally // Listening to Sally’s biblical encouragement weekly will help you cultivate a life, family + home for God.
- Ultimate Marriage // Dale & Veronica Partridge are the husband and wife behind this marriage podcast. They discuss what it really means to have a biblical marriage.
- Marriage After God // Another awesome marriage podcast! I think both you and your spouse would enjoy!
- Cultivate Your Life // Get after your goals and put your faith in action with Lara’s new podcast. She just launched it and has 3 amazing messages about goal setting with heart!
- Jesus Is Better // Amazing Bible stories for kids! Carter + Isabella are huge fans!
- Dear Daughters // Interviews by mentor and spiritual mama, Susie Davis, for the dear daughters of God
- The Grove // Shelley Giglio’s heart for women’s ministry is incredible and she’s sharing live-recorded messages from The Grove at Passion City Church right to our earbuds. Such a blessing!
- Proverbs 31 Ministries Podcast // Great teachings from scripture! Love listening to them on the go!
- Walk The Walk // I’ve really been enjoying Hayley Morgan’s new podcast about walking out our beliefs practically. Lots of good interviews so far!
So many good ones! I hope they’re an encouragement to you in 2019, friend! What’s a helpful resource you’re using in the new year? Share in the comments below & Happy New Years!
This guide contains affiliate links, at no extra cost to you, which help support this blog if you purchase! Thank you!