Hi and happy new year, friends! Can you believe it’s 2018?! Though it felt like 2017 flew by, I loved getting to slow down and enjoy the Christmas break with my little family. I even snuck in some alone time to pause and pray to God about what He’s calling me to in 2018. It’s always a blessing and humongous joy to realize that He’s got amazing-beyond-belief purposes ahead for us. And so, here are my 9 goals for 2018:
1. Read the Bible everyday
- WHY: Because He is where abundant life is at! Because when I’m in God’s word, I’m growing in relationship with Him and in knowledge of Him. Because His word has the power to change me from the inside out. Because simply being with Him is the best gift.
- VERSE: John 15:4 // Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me.
2. Simplify our schedules
- WHY: Because I want to make room for the good stuff of life. Because to make what matters happen, we must declutter what’s keeping the light from coming in. Because spending time together is what’s best for our family. Because life is a beautiful gift that has eternal impact.
- VERSE: Psalm 90:12 // Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom.
3. Grow in Christ-like love
- WHY: Because He has not only called me to love others well but Jesus came as the perfect example of how to love others. Because I’m being sanctified in the process of learning to love well. Because God’s grace moves me to action in sharing His gospel with the world – this has eternal value to the kingdom. Because as I grow in love, I also grow closer to God.
- VERSE: 1 John 3:16-17 (MSG) // This is how we’ve come to understand and experience love: Christ sacrificed his life for us. This is why we ought to live sacrificially for our fellow believers, and not just be out for ourselves.
4. Cultivate a life-giving home
- WHY: Because God’s given me the role as wife + mom. Because it’s my privilege to share the gospel with my family. Because home is where God is tangibly experienced. Because this is my legacy.
- VERSE: Psalm 14:1 // The wise woman builds her house, but with her own hands the foolish one tears hers down.
5. See KPSP + Diana Megan flourish
- WHY: Because our business is a blessing we want to steward well. Because our passions exist for a purpose! Because we can influence others to live better lives for God. Because it’s how we can support our family and have more time with our kids.
- VERSE: Colossians 3:23 // Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord.
6. Share a family vlog weekly!
- WHY: Because we both have a passion for YouTube. Because I believe that it’s an opportunity to be a light. Because it’s been a dream on my heart, and why not take a chance on it?
- VERSE: Matthew 5:14-16 // “Here’s another way to put it: You’re here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We’re going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don’t think I’m going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I’m putting you on a light stand. Now that I’ve put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand—shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you’ll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven.”
7. Serve the City Church well
- WHY: Because God’s blessed me with an amazing church family and has placed me right here for a purpose. Because I can use my creative gifts to share the gospel in the local body of Christ. Because leading worship and Mom & Tots brings me so much joy!
- VERSE: 1 Peter 4:10-11 // As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God’s varied grace: whoever speaks, as one who speaks oracles of God; whoever serves, as one who serves by the strength that God supplies—in order that in everything God may be glorified through Jesus Christ. To him belong glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.
8. Live from a place of rest + joy
- WHY: Because rest + joy come from faith in Jesus. Because I know what it’s like to live in worry + anger. Because these are the fruit of abundant life! Because it’s what’s best for our lives and it makes me a better wife and mom.
- VERSE: John 10:10 // I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.
9. Make healthier choices
- WHY: Because my body is a temple of the Holy Spirit. Because I desire to live a long life for God’s glory. Because without my health, I won’t be able to fulfill the calling God has for me right now. Because making healthy choices is a great example for my kids. Because a healthy lifestyle will result in better moods, confidence, sleep, energy, and even relationships.
- VERSE: 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 // Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.
That’s all 9! Whew, even I was surprised that I came up with so many. There I was thinking I was going to keep it minimal, but God showed me some areas He’d like to grow me and I’m all yes to that. If you’re a goal-loving lady too, I highly suggest the PowerSheets as well as this blog post by Val Marie Paper – both are resources that will help you dig deep into what matters in the grand scheme of your life and how we can translate that into small action steps today.
And lastly, a little piece of encouragement: I know how much this kind of January mentality can bring perfectionism and comparison – it’s easy to think “What should my 2018 look like in comparison to others? Or to gain their approval? Or for what’s right according to culture?” But let’s not get caught in that trap. Let’s just stop and sit in the presence of God. Be still and know, even just for a minute.
Know that He loves you. Know that His grace sees Jesus in you. Know that you’re His daughter who He’s already placed on holy ground. Know that, in Christ, He doesn’t measure us or keep tabs on how well we’re ticking our checklists. But He does actively love and pursue us. And He does call us forward as He puts good paths and plans ahead for us to walk in. Oh how we’re blessed to walk in them, with Him, and for Him.
Jesus is why we set these grace-filled goals. When we know how much He loves us, we can’t help but move + live beautifully for His glory. So here’s to the joy ahead y’all! 2018 is gonna be an amazing one!